Monday, May 2, 2011

Reader of the Month - April 2011

Meet the first Reader of the Month, Anita from Pennsylvania!
Looking back on this winter, there were several times I reconsidered the blog idea.  I love doing it, I’ve met incredible people, but it takes a lot of time and with as much as I share, it makes certain things difficult for me in my personal life.    I can remember a really pivotal moment in the very beginning.  It was February and I was seriously questioning this whole blog idea.   I was frustrated with the amount of time a blog takes and the seemingly slow growth of readers. 
Just then, I happened to check the blog’s Facebook page.  I had an email from someone who read my post and wrote me about it.  A fan letter?  Me?  Are you kidding?  Just as I was contemplating quitting the blog dream and tearing down the site, this woman’s words struck a chord with me, I guess I had done the same with her.    She told me she both laughed and cried when she read that day’s post.   She’d been reading for a couple or few weeks, but chose that day to reach out to me.  She went on to tell me that she could relate so easily to me and my struggles.   It was an extremely important moment for my writing and to be a little corny, for my life. 
Let me explain.  I questioned whether or not my writing would ever mean anything to anyone.  I seek to entertain and maybe enlighten a little.  I’m not going to give Hemingway, Chaucer or Shakespeare a run for their money on this blog.  It isn’t the point.    I want to touch people, share stories that we can all relate to and laugh along the way.   Hearing that I’d done that for Anita meant that if I kept doing it, eventually word would spread and I’d find more readers along the way. 
Since then we’ve traded numerous emails and even chatted on the phone once.   We’ve shared personal stories with each other that have made us both laugh and cry.    Without her emails of encouragement, I know I’d have given up long ago.    She picked me up on a lot of dark days.     She tells me that she looks forward to the posts every day and they keep her going too.     Anita found The Single Mom’s Dating Diary because a friend of hers told her about it.  It’s such an incredible compliment to have friends sharing the blog with their friends, the readership growth of the blog owes a great deal to word of mouth.   I’m very humbled by that.
Dear reader, thank you for reading and if you’ve told anyone about The Single Mom’s Dating Diary.  It means the world to me.
Big Smooches!
The Single Mom

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thank you so much for picking me as reader of the month. you alway pick me up when im down with your blogs. Keep up the good work. Girl you are going to make and go a long way with your blogs.
hugs & kisses Anita

singlemom said...

Aw, well thank YOU so much for reading them and for your friendship too! Big Sloppy Smooches!!!

Anonymous said...

Your blog remind me of a book a read a while back (a girl friend of mine sent it to me, "DIARY OF DATING") matter of fact the author started this way way, blogging about different date, looking for Mr. Right- any who, back to you! You are an inspiration to many, and give a lot of people, who maybe never post a comment, yet read over here, a great laugh! Keep us laughing, and reading!

singlemom said...

Wow, shut the front door! I've never heard of that book before. That's incredible, I'll have to check it out...

Secondly, thank you so much for the kind words! They are incredibly humbling and touching and I thank you for sharing. Like I shared in this post, sometimes I think I'm a little (or a lot) crazy for doing this and I wonder if it means anything to anyone. I appreciate your kindness beyond what I can currently express, so thank you, very much! Smooches!