Monday, June 6, 2011

Life is Short, Break the Rules (sometimes)

A hot summer’s night of passion, a perfect first date, off the charts chemistry and meaningful conversation...
Life doesn’t often give us moments like this.   More frequent are moments like balancing the checkbook, cranky kids, fighting with the ex, being sick and sitting in traffic.   Savoring the good stuff of life, the moments of bliss, passion and joy are the memories that get us through the Monday staff meeting, the broken dryer, or the unexpected car repair.   
I’m trying to live my life more in the moment, enjoy life’s gifts like this and to make myself look at the sunny side.  To be honest, life has kicked my ass and sometimes it’s hard to put on the rose colored glasses.  I’ve had to make a lot of sacrifices but have promised myself that I’d enjoy the simple pleasures along the way.     
Ultimately, I want to find love, but following all the rules hadn’t made that happen, it was time to take a detour.
“Latin Lover” was that detour.  Will I ever see him again?  I’m not totally sure but I’d say probably.  We are still in contact, not necessarily every day but still talking.  He invited me to his house last weekend.   Unfortunately, I couldn’t go because I had family coming into town.   It’s very unlike me, but I’m trying to just see where it goes with him and enjoy whatever happens. 
I’ve said before that once I like someone, I don’t have game anymore.  I text too much, I text first, I get into my own head too much.  For some reason, I’m not doing that.  I do like him a lot.  I could really fall for him but I’m hanging back.    I know from talking to him that this would be the worst thing to do, he does need some space.   
I know for a fact if I would have asked him some of the usual questions I ask before a date that we probably wouldn’t have gone out.  I just followed my gut for once and decided to meet him for a drink.    We had great conversation and I enjoyed every minute of his company.   He is a sweetheart and an extremely romantic man.  If I would have followed the rules, I never would have met him.     It was one of the best dates I’ve been on in a long time and I almost talked myself out of going – because it wasn’t practical, because he lives far away, because he is so good looking.   I'm so glad I did because I would have missed out on meeting a wonderful man.
Last week, I became really sick with a major sinus infection.  It was the worst one I’ve ever had, one of my eyes was swollen shut and I was miserable.  I apologize for not being able to write posts, and I thank you for all the well wishes.  I honestly haven’t been that sick in a very long time.
But being sick reinforced to me how important it is to take advantage of simple pleasures while you can.  Summer is the perfect time to do just that.   I hope you take a minute to play in the hose with the kids, to make a wish on a fluffy dandelion, go skinnydipping, walk barefoot in the grass or lie on your back and look at puffy clouds.
 Thanks for reading!
Smooches,
The Single Mom


Life is short,
Break the rules,
Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly,
Love truly,
Laugh uncontrollably,
And never regret anything that made you smile."

6 comments:

Jenniffer said...

Reveling in the small things and taking in all the little moments and pleasure that I can, especially with my kids, is the only way I haven't blown my lid and pulled a Carrie on my soon-to-be-ex throughout this separation/divorce. lol Love your outlook! BTW- (my daughter says the dandelions are fairies and she blows them to help them go take care of the flowers) Hahaha.. Thank you Chronicles of Spiderwick.. lol **Two thumbs up for this entry**

singlemom said...

Thank you Jenniffer, I appreciate that so much. I just feel like there is so much negativity and people try to take away our happiness so often. Sometimes we let them, which is our bad. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to BE a positive person so I'll attract positive people into my life. So far it's working and the proof is from comments like yours. I appreciate your support so much! Keep being positive for you and your daughter and the good will come, I know it. <3 Smooches!

DavidRayDog said...

Profound and sweet.
Here's to breaking the rules!

singlemom said...

Thank you darlin, cheers to that! Smooches! <3

susan said...

Love it girl! Sorry you haven't been feeling well:( I haven't had much time to get online with 2 graduations this week!

Hope you are feeling better and keep on writing:)

<3 xoxo <3
Susan
PS....Sorry we missed connection! Life got a little crazy/busy!!!

singlemom said...

Susan, no worries, ever! We have a friendship that picks up where we left off and I understand totally when you are busy like that. Thanks for the well wishes and I hope your graduations were great! Smooches!